HOPI EAR CANDLING (THERMOAURICULAR THERAPY)
Thermoauricular Therapy has a widespread and ancient history through many cultures in Asia, northern Europe, Siberia & ancient Greece. It was via the introduction of the technique to the rest of the world by the Pueblo Hopi indigenous American tribe that it became commonly known as ‘Hopi Ear Candling’.
WHAT WILL IT DO FOR ME?
- it is gentle & non-invasive
- it will gently assist in the removal of compacted ear wax. Syringing, the standard medical approach, can be harmful & actually increase new wax production.
- the safe production of heat in conjunction with other healing & calming ingredients, adds features beyond basic ear health.
- it is a pleasing, holistic, effective alternative to standard clinical practices.
WHAT MAY BE TREATED WITH HOPI CANDLES?
- Excessive and/or compacted ear wax
- snoring….some forms of snoring may be reduced by this method.
- sinusitis, by helping to unblock the sinus channels.
- Allergic Rhinitis, by breathing the vapours during the burning of the candles. The process also helps ‘clear the head’.
- Glue Ear, common in children under 8 years. A collection of viscous fluid in the middle ear, usually caused by a blocked eustacian tube. If treated in time, it may negate the insertion of grommets under anaesthetic to ventilate the middle ear.
- Patulous Eustacian Tube, a rare condition of the eustacian tube, where it intermittently stays open. All internal body sounds are picked up by the ear…like having a bucket over your head.
- Headaches & migraine, caused by a variety of factors, including stress.
- Tinnitus & random noise, can be ‘heard’ in one or both ears in the absence of actual sound.
- Neuralgia, irritation or damage to facial nerve(s)
- Bell’s Palsy, facial paralysis due to malfunction of the VII Cranial nerve.
- Menière’s Disease, a balance disorder of the middle ear.
- Swimmer’s/surfer’s/diver’s Ear, usually a problem of the outer ear canal, with itching, swelling, discharge as possibilities.
- Pressure regulation problems in response to altitude change eg flight.
- Labyrinthitis, a balance disorder usually following a severe cold or ‘flu or chest infection. Originates in the vestibular system of the inner ear.
- Loss of smell.
WHAT WILL I EXPERIENCE & WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
The candles are constructed of natural herbs & materials with recognised therapeutic properties. The treatment involves bathing the whole head area in warmed herbal vapours which have a direct physical effect on the ear & associated anatomy itself, plus there is the aromatherapy effect of the inhaled mixture of warmed fragrant vapours. These have a calming effect on the limbic brain.
You will be aware of a warm feeling & hear soft crackling sounds as the candle burns down. you will also be surrounded by the pleasant vapours of the burning herbs. The treatment also involves a gentle, soothing facial massage designed to compliment the candling treatment. At the end of the treatment, you will be shown the contents of the base of the candle & be given feedback on the condition of your ear canals.
As is the case with most therapies, there are presentations & situations where this therapy is inappropriate or not recommended. Below is a list of such conditions where treatment is NOT ADVISED.
- perforated ear drum
- grommets or other drainage devices have been inserted in the ear drum
- The outer ear is inflamed eg. Psoriasis/eczema
- You are allergic to any of the constituents of the candles
- If you are under SPECIFIC medical supervision for a related complaint, without the written consent of your GP.
- If a course of antibiotics is being followed
- If severe dental work has been undertaken which has left the face/jaw painful or possibly in spasm.
- In the first trimester of pregnancy (12 weeks)
- If a cochlear implant has been fitted.
CONSTRUCTION OF THE BIOSUN EAR CANDLES
Is very similar to the Hopi construction:
- 100% pure beeswax
- honey extracts
- St John’s Wort
- beta carotene (vitamin A)
- pesticide free woven cotton.
HOW DO THE CANDLES WORK?
The candle is lit & the impregnated ingredients vapourise. They are drawn down the hollow centre of the candle into the outer ear by a ‘chimney’ effect. The heated vapours are gently vibrated by the action of the flame, to massage the ear drum, similar to the effects of sound waves. this action helps to regulate the pressure regulation systems inside the head, including the sinuses.
The circulation of the enriched, warmed vapours, combined with the face & neck massage, form an overall holistic treatment; soothing irritated areas, stimulating peripheral circulation, intensifying the immune system & strengthening the lymph glands & drainage.
Ear wax is NOT drawn into the candle. It may be softened & may be removed up to 48 hours after the session, usually by taking a hot shower, or on a pillow the morning after.